Sunday, February 12, 2012

{ unplug } How I Have Managed to Disconnect for the Holidays


{ by } Jeanne Rose

I start cutting my Internet time down by 2 hours each day, so that once the holidays begin, and I am going here and there to visit family, I have mastered finding other things to do besides sit in front of a computer screen.

Christmas is quickly approaching, which means many people will be leaving their homes to go on trips to see family and friends. One of the many challenges that come with the holidays is learning to disconnect from the online lives we have created, especially with the addition of smartphones. The increase in technology really has made it difficult to spend time with family, and relax. I have had a lot of trouble with disconnecting from the Internet through the holidays, but here are a few tips I can share from my experiences, about how to connect more with your family, and connect less with technology.



Since I am a freelance writer, it is really had for me to unplug from everything during the holidays, so I decided to come up with a schedule. Putting yourself on a schedule during the holidays can be a way to still be around technology, the Internet, and social media.

Before I get my day started with family during the holidays, I will jump online and do what I need to do, then close the laptop, and spend the day with my family. Set up a schedule that is convenient for you, such as only spending one hour on the computer or cell phone, and stick to it. Once you get past the first day of spending less time on the computer or phone, it really is not that hard.

I also have just decided to not take the devices with me during the holidays, especially if I am going to see a relative for a while. I simply choose to not even bring my laptop or cell phone with me, because then the temptation is not there to be constantly checking emails or websites for the latest news or deals. I would suggest that people who are really dependent on technology, just simply avoid having the devices around during Christmas, so there is no feeling of needing to check email. If you need to have a cell phone with you for emergencies, spend $20 and buy a disposable cheap phone.

I would also advise start disconnecting before you leave for holiday trips, such as a week beforehand. I would gradually reduce the amount of time I spent online prior to the holidays, so that once Christmas rolled around, it was not as much of a shock to go hours or days without connecting to the Internet. I start cutting my Internet time down by 2 hours each day, so that once the holidays begin, and I am going here and there to visit family, I have mastered finding other things to do besides sit in front of a computer screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment